Saturday, February 28, 2009

Endeavour...

        "So what are you saying?" Seth tightened his grip on her fingers.
        "I'm saying that if life's going to keep being so damn complicated, I want some time to get my head on straight. I want to concentrate on school. And on knowing I can count on myself to get though the tough stuff." She looked away, fighting tears. "I don't want to have to devote all my energy to trying to fix us, Seth. The truth is, I think we're past the point of fixing."
        He released his grip. "Okay. Okay, then. I hear you."
        "Diver said something to me, about how it's amazing love ever happens at all. Think about it. Two people have to get their brains and their hearts and . . . other elements of their anatomy . . . all in sync. And then the circumstances of their lives have to be in sync too." Summer sighed. "It seems to me we got the first part right, but the timing on that second part, the other stuff in our lives, isn't quite on track."
        "This is because of Austin, isn't it?"
        "I do love Austin, Seth. Just like I think some part of you, whether you'll admit or not, is in love with Diana. But that's not what this is about. It's not about Austin. It's about me. I know that seems selfish. But if I'm not sure of who I am and how strong I am, how can I ever really be someone you can trust and love?" 
        Seth kissed her, an achingly soft kiss that made her wish, for just a moment, that she could take back everything she'd said. "I'll always love you summer. And I'll always trust you. But I think I understand why you have to do this. Just be sure you understand one thing."
        "What's that?"
        "I will always be there for you. I don't care if I'm in Wisconsin and you're in the Keys. I don't care if I'm on Mars and you're on Venus. It doesn't matter. I'll always be there."
        He touched Summer's cheek. He gave a small, sad smile. And then Seth walked out of her life forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment